Historic Sites

Sir William Ford Coaker Heritage Foundation - Factory Interpretation Centre. - Port Union


The only "union-built town" in North America, Port Union was created in a flurry of construction starting in 1916. It was to be William Ford Coaker and the members of the Fishermen's Protective Union's "capital" as they built a new type of commercial and economic footing for Newfoundland's fishermen. Historic Port Union is dedicated to the preservation of its heritage resources and the communication of its significant and still-relevant history—including the legacy of Sir William Coaker—to an international audience.

In so doing it will become a keystone of the Province’s heritage tourism industry, and a major resource centre for the Province’s school system. The Sir William Ford Coaker Heritage Foundation - Factory Interpretation Centre was formed in 1995. An incorporated, not-for-profit, volunteer-based association, it is dedicated to the preservation and careful development of the Historic District of Port Union

Since its formation, the Foundation has initiated and overseen a number of projects related to its mandate of restoration and preservation. These include architectural assessments of many of the existing buildings, historical research, resource preservation and documentation, development of a master plan, site improvement and landscaping, building restoration. Click here for more information... http://www.historicportunion.com


READ MORE...

The Trinity Historical Society - Trinity

The Trinity Historical Society preserves and promotes the history of Trinity, through the acquisition and preservation of artifacts and archives, and through the promotion and acquisition of historic properties. Trinity Historical Society owns and operates the following:
  • The Lester-Garland House a large, brick Georgian residence has been reconstructed to be used as a museum and education centre to rekindle, promote and celebrate the strong historical and cultural links between Newfoundland and the west of England, especially those between Trinity and Dorset.
  • The Trinity Museum, a 1880's salt box style house which houses over 2,000 artifacts used at one time in the domestic, commercial, fishing, boat building, medical, governmental and other aspects of life in Trinity.
  • The Green Family Forge, a living history Blacksmith's museum containing all the tools of the trade and products for the fishery, vessels, agriculture and the household.
  • The Cooperage, a living history Cooper's museum, where you can see demonstrations from our very own Cooper, Lester Cooper.
  • Court House, Gaol and General Building, designed by architect William Henry Churchill, this public building with its offset tower and mansard roof, is constructed in the same design as a series of Newfoundland Court Houses.
  • Fort Point Military Site, has an interpretation centre and walking trail where you can learn about the Military history of Trinity harbour, Lighthouse keepers, history of the salt fish trade, and local shipwrecks.
Originally the Trinity Historic Sites Committee, it was formed on February 7, 1964 to gather information on the history of Trinity and to preserve it for future generations. It was officially formed in 1966 and in 1971 it was incorporated under the laws of Newfoundland. It is registered with Revenue Canada as a Charitable Organization. Click here for more information... http://www.trinityhistoricalsociety.com/

READ MORE...
Home from the Sea Museum - John C. Crosbie Sealers Interpretation Centre - Elliston

The Home from the Sea Museum was initiated by the Elliston Heritage Foundation in 2008 “with the initial goal of creating a lasting memorial to those who lost their lives.” The small community of Elliston is a fitting site for the memorial as it suffered a significant loss when eight of its twelve sealers were lost in the 1914 SS Newfoundland and SS Southern Cross disasters.

Many regions of the province have been and continue to be deeply involved in sealing, and the Bonavista Peninsula is no exception. Locating the memorial in Elliston is a complement to the many existing cultural and heritage destinations in the region and contributes to the ongoing revitalization of our rural communities. As an interpretive home, the Museum / Interpretation Centre stands for all of our communities in which men and women have toiled to make a living from the sea. Click here for more information... http://www.homefromthesea.ca/


READ MORE...

 Trinity Crafts - Bonaventure English Harbour Development Association - Trinity

Trinity Crafts is located in the Hiscock House Provincial Historic Site and has been run for over thirty (30) years by a local organization, first by the Trinity Craft Co-Op and then by the Bonaventure English Harbour Development Association (BEDA), both under the store name of Trinity Crafts. 

Trinity Crafts offers an outlet for local craftspeople/artisans to sell and promote their work. All work is reviewed by a quality control committee and the store manager. Product is taken on consignment basis. These consignment goods are supplemented with items that we purchase that are not readily available locally.

We offer quality, local hand made products ie: knitwear, crochet work, quilts, art, woodwork, jewellery and homemade jams and jellies. To round out the product line we sell postcards, books and music. Presently we have over fifty people who bring their products to us and that results in a significant benefit to the economy of the local area.This is a seasonal operation and operates daily from mid May to mid October. For additional information during the season, call 709-464-3823.


READ MORE...

Random Passage Tea Room & Shop - New Bonaventure

Constructed in 2000 for the filming of the international TV mini-series “Random Passage” the site today provides the opportunity to step back in time to learn about the obstacles and opportunities our forebears faced during early settlement. Enjoy a compelling, immersive and experiential journey into the past to learn more about the process of catching and making fish, early education and our affiliation with the sea through a guided tour of the sod houses, church, schoolroom, fish flakes and fishing stage. Leave with a new found appreciation of our ancestors’ qualities of creativity, determination and endurance that they drew on to survive and prosper in a place like this.

Random Passage has a gift shop & tea room located in a restored school house. The site includes houses, church, school, fishing stages and fishing flakes, vegetable garden and sheep grazing. Take a journey back in time and experience what life might have been like in a fishing outpost in the early 1800's. Click here for more information... http://www.randompassagesite.com/



READ MORE...